[fpc-pascal] Re: build a compiler for GO32v2 under Windows 8 (or 7)

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sat Oct 5 22:48:09 CEST 2013

On Sat, October 5, 2013 21:34, Philippe wrote:

> I am back !!! (a bit sick ... teeth ...)
>
> I am now trying to move
> to win32. At first leaving crt unit, moving to video unit.
>
> Problem!(?)
> ... I was using window, gotoxy and so on ... and I donĀ“t find anything
> similar with video unit!

First of all, what do you try to solve by moving from unit Crt to unit
Video? I suggested using unit video as a substitution of your original
direct access to video adapter memory. Partial alternative of GotoXY
exists in unit Video - there is SetCursorPos. However, there is no direct
support for Window and thus the addressing is in absolute coordinates, not
relative to the defined window. Using direct video memory access (i.e.
very low-level approach) together with high-level routines like Window,
etc., is a bit strange. Units Video and Crt are not very compatible to
each other at the moment, unfortunately (although the incompatibility may
not be as bad on Win32 as on some other platforms). Nevertheless, you may
try it. Otherwise, you'd need either to create your own alternatives of
Window, etc., based on unit Video, or to avoid using the solution based on
directly addressing video memory/buffer.

Tomas