[fpc-pascal] Re: GetAffinity\SetAffinity

Brian vmst at golden.net
Thu Nov 21 17:23:37 CET 2013

Mark ,

Thanks for the tips and info.

There are two reasons for running threads on specific cores :

1) The possible need for a tight loop for receiving serial data.

2) The program is serial in nature receiving data, does not use X11 ,
controls the mouse and keyboard using libusb , and writes directly to the
graphics card frame buffer (very fast). I have found that when multicore is
enabled in the BIOS , or if I set the process to use more than one core with
sched_setaffinit() , it appears the Linux scheduler is causing a problem and
somehow mucks up some of the graphics when the data load increases , as the
scheduler then starts to try and spread the load between the two cores.

If only one core is used everything works fine.

Regards
Brian