[fpc-pascal] FPC 2.6.2 for DOS/Go32V2 FP.PAS cannot compile with GDB support

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Fri Nov 8 14:05:14 CET 2013

On Fri, November 8, 2013 12:31, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:

Hi,

>   I think that your problem comes from the fact that you are
> using release go32v2 compiler version 2.6.2
> to compile 2.6.3 snapshot IDE.
>   I was able to reproduce this problem.
> The error comes from the fact that there are several variations
> of the environ pchar array ...
>   The assembler symbol can be _environ or __environ
> and there is an incompatibility between 2.6.3 rtl and 2.6.2
> compiler that generates a laoding of crt1.o object from
> libgdb.a library. This should not happen, and of course,
> when it does, leads to multiply defined symbols and the error
> you got.
>
>   You should first compiler the snapshot 2.6.3 compiler,
> and use this freshly generated snapshot compiler to
> recompile rtl packages and finally compile the IDE
> with libgdb.
>
>   Could you test if this works for you also?

Alright, this is my fault then - I wasn't aware of this change in 2.6.3
RTL for GO32v2 and hoped to simplify things for the original poster by not
requiring him to go through the full building cycle. If this is necessary,
using the fpcbuild.zip instead of just fpc.zip (while still unpacking the
downloaded libgdb into fpcsrc/libgdb/go32v2) and running "make go32v2zip"
(with the respective additional parameters, i.e. "OPT=-gl -O- -Xs-" to get
executable providing the backtrace source line information in case of
crash) is probably an easier option than first installing the snapshot
compiler and then ensuring that this one is used rather than the last
release... Anyway, sorry. :-(

Tomas