[fpc-pascal] Win64 release of FPC 2.6.2 missing

patspiper patspiper at gmail.com
Tue May 7 18:17:29 CEST 2013

On 07/05/13 09:33, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> No, it goes: "nobody ever submitted a bug report about this nor posted anything on the FPC mailing list and I don't use Windows myself, so this is the first I hear about it". Problems need to be reported and fixed.

[...]
> Every single person using the Mac OS X version to build 64 bit applications uses a cross-compiler and I've never seen any bug reports or complaints about it. As mentioned before, I don't remember seeing any bug reports either related to the Win64 compiler being a cross-compiler (other than people asking to get a 64 bit binary with as only reason that it would then be a 64 bit binary).
>
> I'm not saying that you are wrong when you say that you have had problems with (self-built?) cross-compilers (where are the bug reports?), just that this is all unrelated to an official installer provided by us that is fully tested and supported (other than the Lazarus integration problem that apparently exists), and that there are plenty of data points to indicate that cross-compiling with FPC in general is not intrinsically broken nor hard (cross-building FPC yourself can be harder, but as you mentioned we are talking about typical end-users and not about developers).

Cross compiler building is broken for FPC 2.7.1 on Ubuntu and Fedora. I
had submitted a couple of bug reports and made several posts in this
mailing list, but all went unnoticed or were not handled. I have almost
lost hope.

Bug reports:

I used to build on an Ubuntu 32 bit machine cross compilers for several
targets using FPC 2.6.0 and previous releases. However as of FPC 2.6.3,
some targets succeeded only using workarounds. With 2.7.1 I can not
build any cross compiler. I am not sure why nobody else is complaining
(could it be me the culprit??), but again, cross compiler building is
not everybody's hobby.

As for the integration with Lazarus, what problems do you have in mind?
I simply build binutils for each target (a one time task), compile the
FPC version (using latest release or starting compiler), then build the
cross compiler for the different targets. As for Lazarus, I have setup
default build modes so that with exactly 2 mouse clicks I can change the
project's target.

I can even fire up Lazarus using any FPC version (2.6.0, 2.6.2, 2.6.3,
2.7.1, etc...) by selecting the version in a script.

Stephano