[fpc-pascal] Win64 release of FPC 2.6.2 missing

Daniel Moore email at danielwmoore.com
Tue May 7 13:15:24 CEST 2013

On 5/6/2013 11:40 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> If I run 64-bit Mac or 64-bit Windows or 64-bit Linux, I want 64-bit
> applications. Some OS's allow for easier execution of 32-bit apps, but
> definitely not all. All my systems run 64-bit OS's, and all my
> installed libraries etc are 64-bit too (think Firebird, etc). 32-bit
> executables cannot load 64-bit libraries, so I need 64-bit
> executables. To put it simply, that is the reason I (and many others)
> need a 64-bit FPC. I've had lots of bad experiences with FPC
> cross-compilers . . .

I have not had bad experience with cross-compilers, as far as the
compilers not working as of yet.  However, let me state for the record,
that a vast majority of the compiling that I will be doing will be
exclusively for 64-bit systems, and I simply do not want to be forced to
compile a 32-bit program on Windows, then cross-compile it into a 64-bit
program.  That is just ludicrous.  I want to direct compile a native
64-bit applications, period.  Even when I use Lazarus, it's just used to
build forms.  I have another IDE that I much prefer for the actual
coding and compiling work.

As a developer, and as a father of 2 young children, I don't have time
to have to compile my own compilers and get everything fixed. I want to
download FPC_x86_64 for Windows and just get to work with it so that I
have more time with my children.