[fpc-pascal] Re: Feature proposal: function-based assignment operatorst

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Mar 29 11:20:36 CET 2013

Sven Barth wrote:

>> If only I'm the core dev, I would mark the C operator feature as
>> deprecated
>> and remove it in the next major version.
>
> [Note: No personal attack intended with the next sentence] In that case
> I think we are lucky that you aren't a core dev :P
> We value backwards compatiblity very high and this is part of it, no
> matter whether these c-like operators are considered good or bad...

What is it about Pascal programmers and their assumption that verbosity
is a prerequisite to clarity?

Elsewhere, I see an otherwise-sensible Delphi programmer enthusing about
LiveCode which appears to be some species of Visual COBOL. Sometimes I
wonder whether I'm on the right planet.

I, for one, see absolutely nothing wrong with += etc. since it's an
unambiguous idiom which came into use decades ago and is now almost
universally understood. Things like ptr++ or Inc(ptr) are far more
pernicious.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk