[fpc-pascal] Windows on ARM, how fast it can be implemented?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Mar 27 11:27:17 CET 2013

(reply-to set to fpc-other since this is getting off-topic)

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
> > Only the ARM version. Though I'd not want to use the PC version either :P
> >
> I'm planning a (kind of) embedded device that need high performance
> (quad core, 64 Bit, 4 Gig RAM, SSD).
>
> I need to use Windows, because of the 3rd party software I need to install.
>
> I was told for this Win 8 would offer a better infrastructure than Win 7.

As windows 6.2, Win8 is a win6 (vista) point release. The main differences
are just like Vista->Win7, some minor performance (mainly startup) and
startup updates (USB3 in preboot env), some new SMB/NTFS options etc.  And performance
mainly in the startup.
  As with any new release, the drivers.cab is updated, so most current
common HW is detected out of the box.

There are some downsides too, though they mostly are related to the defaults
than real issues. (the quick startup is default, but not compatible with many
industrial drivers, many shutdown options are hidden by default etc etc )

And of course, the whole startmenu episode is a bit sad, but IMHO a minor
footnote just like Vista's gadgets (that have mysteriously disappeared in
the next version too).  And I hope that electronic delivery will cut out the
middle man and thus some of the price in the long run, so the whole shop
idea is not that bad, if it isn't forced on you too much.  (it is only for
MS services like messenger, MS based mail and Skype (I only use skype), and
you have to dig out the desktop games from out of the store). Only time will
tell.

But I never used the startmenu much in the first place, and I consider it an
anti RSI measure (if you miss the startmenu in the default location, you
probably use the mouse too much :-)

Yes, it is still not an improvement overall, but it shouldn't exaggerated.
IMHO critics are still a bit power-high over the Vista revolt, and gunning
for an encore. The whole discussion only detracts from the real issues and
differences.

> In fact  I was told that the abysmal Desktop can be deactivated in Win 8.

Not by standard means. There is a lot of 3rd party cruft out there of
course, and even OEMs deliver some, but I wouldn't recommend it.

> What do you think ?

Win8 vs Win7 is the least important bit of your future device choice.

I mildly biassed towards win8, but I mostly migrated because of attractive
offers, not features.  I would get a 64-bit edition though.