[fpc-pascal] Connecting to Firebird using FPC/Lazarus over a LAN with user creation privilege

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Mar 9 15:38:14 CET 2013

Ludo Brands wrote:
> On 03/09/2013 02:08 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> I don't know whether anybody can help me with this one, but I'm working
>> on something where I need a program to be able to create login-capable
>> database users on-the-fly. I was hoping to be able to use either
>> PostgreSQL or Firebird as the backend, but while Postgres is working
>> fine Firebird is proving to be sufficiently difficult that I might just
>> drop it.
..
> Have you tried the fbadmin unit that comes with 2.6.2? It implements
> some of the interbase service routines such as user management and
> backup/restore. There has a convenient AddUser method.

Thanks Ludo and Tony, I'll take a look at that a bit later in the day
but I'm sure I'll have more questions.

What I'm trying to do is set up a tree of database servers and apps, and
was hoping to allow cooperating admins to use Firebird at the leaf nodes
on account of its perceived ease of configuration etc. Having said that,
if I have to start moving outside "standard" SQL to do things like user
creation, i.e. maintain both SQL-based commands for PostgreSQL and API
sequences for Firebird, much of the perceived advantage disappears.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk