[fpc-pascal] Bootstrap binaries

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Mar 4 10:19:35 CET 2013

In our previous episode, Joao Morais said:
> How ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dist/2.6.2/bootstrap
> like lists are built? I missed at least i386-linux and i386-win32
> binaries.

They are simply the compiler binary extracted from the release in a bzipped
format.

It's mainly a facility for source based package systems like the *bsd ports,
where the enduser routinely bootstraps compiler + source too.
(if that is sane, is a different question, specially in FPC's case which won't
reuse global CFLAGS, but tradition...)

That's why you see all BSD binaries uploaded, and other majority platforms
are missing.

Win32/64 in particular is useless, since there you need the binutils in the
release package anyway.