[fpc-pascal] Object pascal language compatiblity - was: Does FPC 2.8.0 can actually still be called Pascal ?

Dimitri Smits smitco at telenet.be
Mon Mar 4 01:24:25 CET 2013

----- Oorspronkelijk e-mail -----

as a matter of fact, the llvm-stack is not just your front-end to provide the intermediate bytecode (or textual variant)! You can provide/maintain multiple plugins for almost every "pass". Going from optimisation passes to the entire "executable generation" as back-end. Admittedly you need to make a C(++?) compatible interface, but I think nobody stops you from making those passes/plugins in FPC...

on the other hand... the speed difference with Delphi XE 3.5 or later would level out a bit more :-)

that being said, Embarcadero will surely implement such proprietary passes/plugins and additions for their own benefit.

At least I am very curious to next fall when the next version(s) come out. Not in the least if they also support Android with a cross-platform library/interface between iOS and Android for common features, like they 'promised' last fall on a conference. (BE-Delphi last november)

full disclosure: yes, paying owner of a licence DXE3

kind regards,
Dimitri Smits