[fpc-pascal] optimisation v2.2.2

John Lee johnelee0 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 13:24:06 CET 2013

I'm stuck with v2.2.2 because I have units from that version w/o source
code, tho' not sure whether later fpcs would be any better? Any performance
improvements made?

I have a program that does quite a bit of processing on xml strings (eg
using str functions such as pos, npos,posex) that occur every 1 sec. These
strings are quite long eg 5000 bytes or so and I have a short window to
process them and do other stuff.

I've tried compiling with -O3 on strutils and main program to minimise the
time taken for string stuff (running xp, win32 on a 10 year old laptop,
1.4Ghz). This doesn't seem to make much/any difference. There used to be
keyhole optimising in fpc but don't see that in v2.2.2.

What about using -Oppentium3 or -Oppentium4? - they don't seem to make any
difference either.

Anyone any ideas/comments re how to speed up strings?

John