[fpc-pascal] Object pascal language compatiblity - was: Does FPC 2.8.0 can actually still be called Pascal ?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Fri Mar 1 11:30:17 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:23:29AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Sven Barth wrote:
>
> >>An llvm target will move the optimisation burden away from fpc, which
> >>would be very interesting.
> >
> >While we would welcome a LLVM backend it is basically a consent in
> >the development team that this would only be an additional
> >alternative to the normal backends FPC provides.
>
> LLVM's target list doesn't look particularly brilliant compared with
> FPC's :-/

My concern also...This is happening with many projects I've seen. Everyone
wants the benefits of LLVM, but it leaves all but the most mainstream
targets unsupported.

> Are there any practical advantages to having both?

Personally I can only hope additional interest in LLVM will lead to more
supported platforms. I understand they don't have manpower for every
platform but as it is the narrow focus is certainly a concern, especially
when big projects like FreeBSD move away from gcc and make LLVM the official
"compiler of FreeBSD". Whether it's related or not, FreeBSD seems to have
back-burnered everything that's not Intel...

--