[fpc-pascal] TStream.ReadBuffer doesn't try hard enough to read the requested bytes

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Jun 17 09:00:49 CEST 2013

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013, Michalis Kamburelis wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> If an implementation of Read does not return the requested data when in
>> fact it is available, then the implementation of Read is broken.
>
> I guess it depends how do you interpret TStream.Read documentation...
> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/classes/tstream.read.html does not
> explicitly say that TStream.Read returns less than requested Count *only when
> the stream ends*. And I saw a lot of code working under the assumption that
> only when TStream.Read returned zero -> then the stream ended.
>
> If you want to put stricter requirements on TStream.Read, I suggest to update
> the docs to explicitly say this.
>

>> Your proposal is a quick and dirty hack that does not address the real
>> problem.
>
> Whether it's a hack or not really depends on your definition of "correct
> TStream.Read implementation".

In my opinion, if you ask Count bytes, TStream should try to get the requested number of bytes,
only failing if they really are not available.

> My proposal is also a single solution that will make ReadBuffer correct for
> all the eternity.
>
> Your proposal means that we have to fix THandleStream (Read and Write), which
> is definitely broken according to your requirements. Then we check
> TGZFileStream (I'm not sure whether it's already correct; it is definitely
> incorrect if gzRead in PasZLib is equivalent to gzRead inside C Zlib). And
> then every time I use another TStream implementation I'll have to check
> whether it's Read method is trying hard enough. TStream.Read that doesn't try
> hard enough is a very sneaky bug, since it will often work by accident (if
> reading small enough data).

Meanwhile, someone pointed out to me that at least in Delphi XE2, TStream.ReadBuffer
has been changed to do a loop anyway. I guess we'll have to follow suit, even if I
don't think it is correct :(

So please post a bugreport (with or without) patch on the bugtracker, you can assign it to me.

Michael.