[fpc-pascal] why is MIPS not equivalent to MIPSEB

Dennis ics at avidsoft.com.hk
Wed Jun 12 11:18:17 CEST 2013

I was trying to build a cross compiler by following the MIPS_port doc
but since I needed MIPS bid endian version instead, I changed their
example of MIPSel into MIPS which seems the correct way in dowloading
binutils and specifying TARGET CPU.

However, after many days of struggling, it appears that the correct
spelling regarded by the crosscompiler for MIPS big endian is actually
MIPSEB instead of MIPS!!!
And that probably produced a lot of my earlier problems.  I had to
rename all the names of ld and as files from mips to mipseb to have the
compiler stop complaining.

Can someone tell me why in some areas of fpc, it is MIPS and else MIPSEB?

Dennis