[fpc-pascal] Placing binary data (resources) in object files?

Rainer Stratmann rainerstratmann at t-online.de
Mon Jun 3 18:34:06 CEST 2013

 On Monday 03 June 2013 17:47:46 you wrote:
> I am trying to come up with an embedded binary resource system and was
> considering placing data in object files when I found this question on
> stack overflow:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4158900/embedding-resources-in-exe-using
> -gcc
>
> I see that it's possible to directly turn any file into an object file and
> reference the memory of that as a resource in a C program using:
>
> extern char binary_foo_bar_start[];
> extern char binary_foo_bar_end[];
>
> My question, is it possible to link extern char in free pascal in a way
> similar to above? Perhaps something similar to:

There was a similar discussion about that.

See topic: 'Including binary data making easy'

The result of this discussion was that you can do this (inconvenient) with
existing tools.

And that it is not necessary to make improvements so that the compiler can do
(simple) things other compilers already can do for a long time.