[fpc-pascal] Console Encoding in Windows (Local VS. UTF8)

Noah Silva shiruba at galapagossoftware.com
Mon Jul 29 04:39:25 CEST 2013

Hello everyone,

OK I have checked this out:
2013/7/9 Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at hajny.biz>

> There is code page 65001 for UTF-8, however I don't know since which
> version of MS Windows it is supported (and to which extent - e.g.
> including the console output). You may change the output code page for
> console using the Windows API call SetConsoleOutputCP, but e.g. our unit
> Crt currently resets the code page used for output to console to the
> "main" process code page (as returned by GetACP) on each write and thus
> ignores the user selection - this will probably change in trunk in the
> future as part of the Unicode support activities, but the current state is
> like this.

According to MSDN, GetACP returns ANSI code page (i.e. never Unicode pages
CP_UTF8)
On my system, the codepage it returns is 932 (SJIS), so writing SJIS to the
console should be no issue, even is writeln resets the code page every
time.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/ja-JP/goglobal/cc305152.aspx

Yet, doing the following yields garbage:
              Writeln(UTF8ToANSI(Object.Text));

(and I have verified that the Text field content is indeed in UTF8 format).

As for my FPC version:
Lazarus 1.1
2012-11-06
FPC 2.6.1
SVN 37432
x86_64-win64-win32/win64

(I have various other versions installed, but all on OS X machines...)

Tomas

>  thank you,
     Noah Silva