[fpc-pascal] Re: [Lazarus] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Jul 17 10:53:04 CEST 2013

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 22:56:33 +0100
"vfclists ." <vfclists at gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
> I have 2 main concerns here, a comment for the component itself which is
> not particularly important and a comment for the component when I add it to
> a form or data module. When I create a method I can add a comment to the
> method. If I create a component in code, I can label that section of code,
> but if I drag and drop a component from the palette onto the form what
> option do I have?  Descriptive variable and component names have a habit of
> getting too long.

You can comment the variable. For example:

  Edit1: TEdit; // Now, that's a great Name

> It is hardly for the end users sake unless the enduser is
> a programmer. I just need something to help when working in the IDE, eg
> hovering over a component and seeing the comment in addition to what is
> current displayed.

Do you mean hovering over the component in the designer?
At the moment the hint shows only the caption and some common values.
It could be extended to show the help for the variable. Feel free to
create a feature request.

Mattias