[fpc-pascal] Console Encoding in Windows (Local VS. UTF8)

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Jul 10 12:19:37 CEST 2013

On Wed, July 10, 2013 10:30, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2013-07-09 13:08, Tomas Hajny wrote:
>>> Afaik Windows XP, but there might be font problems on console.
>> I also thought about mentioning True Type fonts (like Lucida) being a
>

> It's not so much about True Type fonts, but about enabling a Unicode
> font in the console. There are many True Type fonts that only support
> the ASCII character-set.

Sure, but you can't select just any True Type fonts for console windows
(only Lucida is offered in WinXP; I just don't know if the same font is
offered if the main locale is Japanese or if it isn't another font in
later MS Windows versions).

Regarding True Type fonts only supporting ASCII (and disregarding the fact
that those wouldn't support Japanese mentioned in the original post
anyway) - I meant using an appropriate True Type font as a minimum
condition (i.e. not necessarily sufficient per se).

Tomas