[fpc-pascal] Linker Error: what does this mean?

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Tue Jan 22 22:13:53 CET 2013

On 22 Jan 13, at 21:31, Gerhard Scholz wrote:

> Question: what's the reason for this error?
>
> Linking .\read.exe
> Error: Failed reading coff file, illegal reloctype $0000 while reading
> .\U_UNIDAT
>
> The program compiles wonderfully with VirtualPascal; I wanted to recompile
> it with FPC.

I will be just guessing because you haven't supplied any information
about the program which you try to link, but I would suspect that you
might have tried to link an externally created object file
(u_unidat.o? - possibly just renamed from u_unidat.obj as previously
used with VirtualPascal?) and it has object file format not supported
by our linker. If this assumption is correct, you might need to re-
create the object file in the right format supported by FPC and/or
the GNU linker.

Tomas