[fpc-pascal] Favourite Pascal books

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 14:34:46 CET 2013

On 01/22/13 11:52, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:

> The best introductory Turbo Pascal book I've ever read was "Mastering Turbo Pascal 6" from Scott D. Palmer spanish edition, I remember how amazed I was after learning how pointers work, and how fast my apps became after replacing arrays by linked lists, etc. Of course this is a very old book, focused mostly on procedural programming (it has a couple of oop chapter, though).

Yeah, that was a good book.

> Apart from those, I recommend reading not so Pascal specific books, but application design in general, like "Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture" from Martin Fowler.

Very good advice! I would simply learn the syntax. So read the Delphi or
FPC Language Reference Guides. Once you have the basics, start writing
code - that is the best way to learn.

The "Test Driven Development" book by Kent Beck (great book) had a
brilliant idea. If Kent wanted to learn a new language, he tried to
implement a Unit Testing framework. By the time he had a usable testing
framework, he knew pretty much everything the language had to offer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Test-Driven-Development-Addison-Wesley-Signature/dp/0321146530

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/