[fpc-pascal] Object pascal language compatiblity - was: Does FPC 2.8.0 can actually still be called Pascal ?

Kenneth Cochran kenneth.cochran at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 14:43:15 CET 2013

On Feb 28, 2013 5:23 AM, "Henry Vermaak" <henry.vermaak at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:45:08AM +0000, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> > On 2013-02-28 09:28, Marc Pertron wrote:
> > >
> > > We need better optimisations at least as much as fancy 123.tostring.
> >

> > Bottom line.... optimisation work is just not as sexy and exciting as
> > adding the latest Delphi/Java/C#/C language features. I guess we can't
> > blame them for that.
>
> An llvm target will move the optimisation burden away from fpc, which
> would be very interesting.
>
> Henry

Ironically this is the direction Embarcadero is moving. They've already
made the transition with their C/C++ compiler and there have been hints
that Delphi is next. In a way it makes sense. They get an instant boost in
runtime performance and can focus more of their resources on the compiler
front end, libraries and IDE.