[fpc-pascal] Place of elements in record

Koenraad Lelong fpascal at brouwerij.homelinux.net
Thu Feb 28 09:53:27 CET 2013

On 28-02-13 09:41, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> I'd suggest that this depends in part on the semiconductor technology.
> You might be best transferring individual fields for old-fashioned
> EEPROMs, or defining a larger block with a magic number for more
> "RAM-like" devices particularly if they have load-levelling.

Hi,

I'm using "old-fashioned" EEPROM (1 kilobyte). In the device every
write-cycle takes about 3ms. So writing individual variables each takes
3ms. But writing the whole record would also take 3ms (I think, I have
to verify this). So it's tempting to do that. But a whole record could
cross memory-pages, then the record needs to be split in two (or more)
cycles. But at the moment I'm saving less than 20 variables, so
splitting will be for later.

Thanks for your input, same for you Ludo.

Regards,

Koenraad Lelong.