[fpc-pascal] Object pascal language compatiblity - was: Does FPC 2.8.0 can actually still be called Pascal ?

Craig Peterson craig at scootersoftware.com
Thu Feb 28 02:32:20 CET 2013

On 2/27/2013 6:41 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Component vendors simply aren't interested in FPC, and those that are,
> are bought about by EMBT and made Delphi only.

Eldos added support for Free Pascal to SecureBlackBox within the last
couple of years.  Indy supports it in their main repository.  I added
FPC support to Abbrevia in late 2011.

I know we're not the only commercial software vendor to give up on
Delphi for cross platform work, and Free Pascal's Delphi compatibility
is the only thing that has made that possible.

> If you want to say "delphi compatible", it must be all or nothing.

Why?  It should be driven by user needs and developer interest, just
like it always has.  I'd like to see anonymous methods because it would
make porting the OmniThreadLibrary possible.  The fact that they aren't
supported doesn't make the existing generics and class helper support
unusable.

--
Craig Peterson
Scooter Software