[fpc-pascal] Re: Fpc Access Violation if AppConfigDir doesn't exist.

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Mon Feb 11 15:56:37 CET 2013

On 02/11/2013 01:57 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Giuliano Colla wrote:
>> It can be helped both by reducing the likelihood of the event, as
>> you've done, and by not suggesting to use in that case a try..finally
>> construct in a GUI application, which would mask the errors.
>> This suggestion comes historically from Delphi literature, but
>> fpc/Lazarus developers should never forget that they're smarter than
>> Delphi people. ;-)
>
> I didn't suggest anything. I wrote 'deal with such cases'. How, this I
> leave up to the programmer.

I wasn't speaking of you. You didn't. But too many examples show it that
way. Programmers are influenced by examples.

> But I will say this: trying to format the user's harddrive or attempt
> to fry his monitor is usually the wrong approach ;)

Creating a .config/ directory is somehow more in the natural programming
practice, than formatting user's hard drive, or frying his monitor.
We'll leave those practice to Redmond developers....

Giuliano