[fpc-pascal] Android cross-compiler: arm-linux-androideabi- binutilsprefix

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 14:12:51 CET 2013

Complete log: http://pastebin.com/Bj2EGmWD

FPC trunk, trying to get an Android ARM cross compiler going.
1. Optimistically using FPC 2.6.2 as bootstrap - should I be using
trunk? (Trying that now anyway)

Copied Android NDK crossbinutils (as.exe etc) and libs
(crtbegin_dynamic.o, libc.so) etc.

This is the command I let fpcup execute to build the cross compiler:
Executing : C:\development\fpcbootstrap\make.exe
"FPC=C:\development\fpcbootstrap\ppc386.exe"
"--directory=C:\development\fpctrunk"
"INSTALL_PREFIX=C:\development\fpctrunk"
"CROSSBINDIR=C:\development\cross\bin\arm-android" "UPXPROG=echo"
"COPYTREE=echo" "all" "OS_TARGET=android" "CPU_TARGET=arm" "CROSSOPT=
-CpARMV6" "OPT= -Xd -FlC:\development\cross\lib\arm-android"

2. Running the module I get quite far until I suddenly see reference to
a binutils prefix that I haven't set...:
make.exe[5]: Entering directory `C:/development/fpctrunk/rtl/android'
system.pp(380) Error: Assembler arm-linux-androideabi-as.exe not found,
switching to external assembling

Am I doing something wrong? Should I rename the binutils from the NDK
and use -XP/BINUTILSPREFIX?

This entry in fpc.cfg (fpc trunk) is ominous:
# for android cross-prefix is set by compiler
#ifdef android
#undef NEEDCROSSBINUTILS
#endif

Does fpc (trunk) require arm-linux-androideabi- ?
(And if so, why?)