[fpc-pascal] MD5 decryption?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 11 18:01:56 CET 2013

Am 11.12.2013 17:54, schrieb silvioprog:
> 2013/12/11 Ewald <ewald at yellowcouch.org <mailto:ewald at yellowcouch.org>>
>
>     Once upon a time, silvioprog said:
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > How to decrypt a MD5 in FPC?:
>     MD5 is a hashing algorithm, not an encryption algorithm. There is more
>     than one input for this algorithm which will generate the same
>     hash, as
>     opposed to a cipher.
>
>     --
>     Ewald
>

> Go to: http://md5decryption.com <http://md5decryption.com/>
> In "Please input the MD5 hash that you would like to be decrypted:"
> field, put: 7db4a8dae498d1b4686ebd1f79326602
> See the result in "Decrypted Text:" field.
Please read what they write on their web page (stresses by me):

=== quote begin ===

Encrypt MD5 hash, Decrypt MD5 hash
MD5Decryption.com allows you to enter a MD5 hash and we will look *into
our database*
and try to decrypt MD5. Basically it is a MD5 decrypter.

What is an MD5 hash, or MD5 Checksum?
MD5 is a 128-bit message digest function.
It is used commonly in user authentication and MD5 checksum for data
integrity.

How many MD5 hashes are in our database?
*We have encrypted* more than 105,300,000 words, phrases, acronyms, etc
since 2006.

=== quote end ===

So they have build themselves a database of a limited number of md5
hashes and use that to resolve your requests. MD5 is a one way hashing
function. Full stop. Don't believe it? Well... I generated a hash of
"wrxlbrmpf" which is d162435be814d6c6f4e1e4f077e5343d. This hash is not
found in their database. Or better yet: Hash a 1GB movie and ask them to
decrypt that. It would definitely be awesome if you could store a 1GB
movie inside a 16-Byte hash...

Regards,
Sven