[fpc-pascal] Array assignment, and not-a-number

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 15 21:15:47 CEST 2013

On 15.04.2013 20:17, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> On 15 Apr 2013, at 16:48, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>> I was having a bit of fun earlier while waiting for a call. Am I
>>> correct in believing that something like
>>>
>>> type    t1= array of integer;
>>>
>>> var     a1: t1;
>>>     x: integer;
>>>
>>> a1 := [1,2,3,4,5];
>>>
>>> can't be done at present, irrespective of any custom definition of
>>> the := operator?
>>
>> Maybe if you overload the assignment operator for "t2=set of byte" to
>> "t1" assignments, but I'm not certain. It's definitely not something
>> we explicitly support.
>
> That's a good point, although obviously ordering would be lost. After
> I'd tinkered with it for a while I concluded that it was probably
> related to the discussion of tuples a few weeks ago.

Not really.

Also the principial components are already available in the compiler so
in theory (!) one could implement this. Array constructors (the "[...]"
notation) is already used for open array parameters and array
initialization is already possible for named dynamic arrays in the form
of the delphi compatible "TMyDynamicArrayType.Create(1, 2, 3, 4, 5);"
(yes, I think this is a bad choice of implementing it and comes probably
from Delphi.NET :( )

Regards,
Sven