[fpc-pascal] RE: 64 bit cross binutils on a 32 bit OS

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Fri Apr 12 18:27:16 CEST 2013

On Fri, April 12, 2013 17:45, waldo kitty wrote:
> On 4/12/2013 02:44, leledumbo wrote:
>>> can i compile an app with either one and then run that app natively on
>> winwhatever /without/ having to install either cygwin or mingw?
>>
>> All Cygwin binaries depend on cygwin1.dll, so you must distribute that
>> with
>> the program. With MinGW, there's a smaller C runtime library that must
>> be
>> distributed as well. I don't remember either provide statically linked
>> version of those libraries.

I believe that mingw binutils (included with our releases) do not require
any additional library.

Moreover, one must distinguish compiling an aplication with cygwin port of
GCC from using cygwin binutils for assembling and/or linking applications
compiled with FPC (or some other compiler) - there are no direct
implications regarding runtimes, etc., for the latter (equally to mingw
binutils).

Tomas