[fpc-pascal] Re: FBLib (firebird library for FPC, Delphi and Kylix) has moved

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 08:42:35 CEST 2013

On 8-4-2013 8:25, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> On Sunday 07 April 2013 04:10:18 reinierolislagers at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> I'd recommend Graeme's version as well - for one it has increased BLOB
>> writing speed due to a fix that also went into sqldb (but AFAIK not into
>> msegui).
>>
> Do you refer to the segment size? MSEgui uses $4000 by default. The advantage
> of using isc_info_blob_max_segment() is that for small blobs the allocated
> buffer memory is minimal. Probably not very important.

Yes, I'm talking about segment size. When I looked at the mse code (a
while ago) and contacted you with about it, it seems like you were using
the same miniscule segment size as FPC did. Now FPC uses 65535, which
speeds up blob operations significantly.

Splitting things up in segments of course increases network traffic and
may not be handled by fb efficiently (I've posted links to my
requests+resonses on the FB list)... but it's up to you of course.