[fpc-pascal] FCL-Image and OS/2 BMP support

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Fri Apr 5 15:41:15 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-05 14:12, Sven Barth wrote:
> It was rather a niche before Windows Vista,

I used many apps where the .ico file had multiple sizes - back in the
days of Win2k I believe.

> but since then multiscale
> icons are rather common and are also supported by Lazarus.

Yeah, hence the huge 140Kb default project1.ico file in every Lazarus
project - rather annoying, but luckily I don't really create LCL apps. ;-)

> difference to *.ico is that there is a "hotpoint" declared somewhere...]

I'm reading up a bit more on OS/2 Bitmap - thank goodness I kept a very
old "Real-World programming for OS/2" book around. :) There are 2 OS/2
Bitmap formats, and size variations... Icons, Pointers, Bitmaps, Bitmap
Array, Color Pointer etc. All in one file format - that's IBM
optimization for you. :)

I'm been playing with OS/2 Warp 4.5 in a VM too - damn that brought back
good memories, and still features I miss in that OS that simply doesn't
exist anywhere else (even in todays OSes). They should port the
Workplace Shell to Linux or FreeBSD, and I'll switch in a heartbeat!

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/