[fpc-pascal] Re: String type compatibility

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Apr 3 12:11:53 CEST 2013

leledumbo wrote:
>> BTW, recently there are many discussions about language features, now I
> would like to ask one question, why the following is not supported in
> pascal:
>
> procedure SomeThing(AParam: array[0..10] of Integer);
>
> or
>
> procedure SomeThing(Aparam: string[10]);
>
> But you have to define a custom type first?
>
> Delphi compatibility and something else (should be documented on the wiki,
> but I forgot on which release).

I wonder if I could ask a related question. I was looking at some parser
code yesterday that I wrote years ago, and that still compiles with TP5,
TopSpeed and so on. It's got a couple of underlying string[255]
declarations: is there a 16-bit Unicode equivalent which uses this syntax?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk