[fpc-pascal] Re: Windows installer fails to add fpc binaries to PATH

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 11:03:26 CEST 2012

On 14-9-2012 23:32, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
>     Well, I just checked:
>     http://svn.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/install/fpc.ist?view=annotate&root=fpcbuild
>     around line 253 and further.
>
>     It matches my experience.
>
>     Maybe you are using Windows ME or older windows versions.
>

> I am using Windows 7 Professional x64. Which version are you using?
<snip>
> My Windows account has full Administrative privileges. I'm curious if
> the installer neglects to explicitly request administrative privileges.
> I bet if we edit the installer's security properties, forcing it to run
> in administrative mode, it will then modify PATH accordingly.
So... have you verified this theory?
Have you tried running the installer explicitly as Admin (e.g. right
click, Run as Admin)? Did it change the system path then?

> All of this is easily done with Advanced Installer
> <http://www.advancedinstaller.com/>, by the way. I'm not sure which
> tools you're using to construct the official Free Pascal Windows
> installer, but the output of that build process is not working on my system.
Well, blame the tools by all means rather than help analyze and fix the
problem.
It is an Inno Setup script. Inno Setup works very well for many
programs, including Lazarus.
I've never heard of Advanced Installer.

If you want to look into patching the Inno Setup script, perhaps have a
look at PrivilegesRequired in the [Setup] section:
http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/index.php?topic=setup_privilegesrequired

Good luck,
Reinier