[fpc-pascal] FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 10:35:19 CEST 2012

On 13/09/12 23:02, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> thus not hf. A month or so back, the PI foundation changed their default
> distro from "wheezy" (eabi,v5) to raspbian.

So far the Raspbian image is pretty rubbish, compared to the
pre-configure one I bought on my SD card. I guess the "raspbian" it too
much "bleeding egde" (read super unstable). The Raspbian one has errors
in raspi-config, so I can set my Dvorak keyboard layout. Eventually
figuring out where the keys are in Qwerty, I managed to start X. The
desktop that loads has NO icons, no menu items, and the menu items that
do exist don't work. I couldn't even manage to run a lxterminal. I can't
even exit the OpenBox session that is running - I had to Ctrl+Alt+F1 and
then Ctrl+C to kill the X server. The mouse pointer is also really
slugish in the X session, and freezes for a split second every 2-3
seconds. It's like something is polling the system every 2-3 seconds,
and freezing the UI while it does.

So for now, I'll restore back to my original Debian 6 "wheezy" (thank
goodness I took a backup) where things worked much smoother. It might
not be the most optimised OS for the Raspberry Pi, but it works much better.

I'll report my problems, so hopefully in the next Raspbian release
things will work better.

Regards,
    - Graeme -