[fpc-pascal] Re: Issue with deploying linux application in /opt directory

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 09:54:08 CEST 2012

On 3-9-2012 20:17, Krzysztof wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have script which install my application in /opt/myapp directory.
> This script check if user is root so it can set permissions to read
> and access as executable. Everything works fine. After installation I
> can run this application, but It doesn't has access to the internet. I
> must manually set owner to whole application directory: "sudo chown
> MY_NAME -R /opt/myapp". Now, I have access to internet. Does anyone
> know how to properly prepare installation script which set permissions
> in /opt directory? User should simply extract zipped application, run
> setup skrypt and run app

Perhaps you're using some protection/privilege management system
(AppArmor, SELinux, something else) that restricts internet access to
the application running under root... but mysteriously doesn't restrict
it when it is running under your account???
Is your account member of some group that has "all network access
allowed" permissions, while root isn't?

Just a long shot from somebody who occassionally touches a Linux VM,
Reinier