[fpc-pascal] About Putting everything in one repo

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 2 18:31:48 CEST 2012

On 02.09.2012 11:46, Zaher Dirkey wrote:
> Hi, FPC and Lazaurs team
>
> I noticed there is new component (PascalScript) ported to
> lazarus/components/ and in the past AggPas also ported,
> The idea, why you put many components not used for most users, same ask
> in FPC
>
> My example to understand me
>
> I use SQLite, we found a bug and this bug fixed by FPC team, now we must
> wait long time to have new release with this simple bug fixed.
> But if the SQLite unit in another repository, this Extended repo can
> published the releases more faster than FPC releases, If FPC release
> come one every year this repo collected and released 4 time in this year.

There is the idea to have some/most/all units under packages being
distributed by a FPC package manager (which already exists more or less:
fppkg) which can update the installed packages. The switch from fpcmake
to fpmake is a first step in that direction, but I don't know how high
the motivation for a package manager is...

Note: In concept it would be similar to package managers for other
programming languages like Python, Ruby or Lua.

Regards,
Sven