[fpc-pascal] releasing commercial components as PPU files

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 17:00:26 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-22 15:36, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> Another potential caveat is that many distro systems allow to apply distro
> specific patches over DIST sources.

In that case they will have to use the FPC official 2.6.0 binary
release, or purchase the source code version (recommended for obvious
reasons).

> I can't see why 2.6.0 would be better than fixes branch. Yes, there...

I've had some unexpected issues with 2.6.x - at the time I never knew
that new features was also introduced in the fixes branch, not just
fixes. The worst case was a few months back when I did a 2.6.x fixes
update just before I created new binary releases of our products. ALL
our products crashed at startup. Reverted to 2.6.0 and our products ran
perfectly. Since then all our releases are only done with 2.6.0. Due to
time constraints I never investigated what caused the problem in 2.6.x.
But two weeks later, 2.6.x (after another fixes update) suddenly worked
again.  Anyway, it is just easier using an official release we know was
well tested.

Regards,
  - Graeme -