[fpc-pascal] releasing commercial components as PPU files

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 15:11:49 CEST 2012

Hi,

Many Delphi components are sold as "full source code", or slightly
cheaper (or as trial) as compiled *.DCU files for a specific Delphi version.

Could this work with FPC too? Can I release commercial components as PPU
files for say FPC 2.6.0  (knowing that those PPU's will not work with
any other version of FPC).

The only supported compilers will be the officially released versions.

My concern are platforms like Linux, FreeBSD, where the official release
is often is source code format. Would it matter if they compile there
own FPC 2.6.0 release, and would my PPU's still work in that case?

Side note:
Personally I'm not a fan of buying components without source code, but
sometimes developers are on a shoestring budget, so buying the cheaper
(without source code) version is good enough. I would like to cater for
those developers too - if possible.

Regards,
  - Graeme -