[fpc-pascal] Memory alignment with FPC

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 10 13:48:02 CEST 2012

Am 10.10.2012 12:02, schrieb dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl:
> Does FPC ensure the same memory alignment for records and objects over
> different platforms? If I want to be sure to have the same alignment
> must I use packed (with possibly some aligning assigned) records instead
> in combination with data types that are guaranteed to be of the same
> size over the different platforms (eg byte, word, single) ? Or do
> unpacked records behave the same over different platforms?

Please note that you might also need to take care of different endianess
(big endian vs. little endian) if you want to transfer such record data
(e.g. through files) between systems with different endianess. In that
case you'll need to write the record field by field and convert the
endianess in one of the two cases...

Regards,
Sven