[fpc-pascal] synapse and OS/2

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Mon Nov 12 03:24:10 CET 2012

On 11/11/2012 07:05, Tomas Hajny wrote:
> On 10 Nov 12, at 20:29, waldo kitty wrote:
>
>> before i get too much further along on this project, i guess i should ask about
>> the ssleay32 and libeay32 libraries on OS/2...
>>
>> i'm developing this project on windows with the ultimate goal of copying the
>> source files over to my OS/2 (eCS2) box and compiling it there with FPC... i
>> have another project that uses only about four of the synapse39 files and they
>> required some modification to compile on OS/2 with EMX... i'm concerned that i
>
> Have you submitted your OS/2-specific changes to the Synapse
> developer so that they could be included in the project for future
> versions?

i didn't make them... someone else did to help me with compiling on OS/2 with
EMX... i will have to dig back into my saved messages to locate what they sent
me and who it was... basically all they did was to add a few $IFDEF for OS/2...
they also created one pas file with some initialization routines...

i can send what i have but i don't know where to send to... plus, these are only
the 4 or 5 files that my one project needed for mime translation stuffs...

>> may run into the same problem with synapse40 as well as not being able to have
>> the needed ssleay32 and libeay32 files for accessing https sites...
>   .
>   .
>
> I don't have direct experience with using Synapse (under OS/2 or
> otherwise), but two more general comments:

hummm... i'm hoping that i won't run into a wall with this :/

> - If these libraries are supposed to come from OpenSSL, I've found a
> note in some Internet discussions that libeay32.dll is name used in
> the Windows port of OpenSSL for libcrypto (available for OS/2 as
> either crypto.dll or kcrypto.dll/kcrypt10.dll - see my second note
> below) and similarly ssleay32.dll is Windows specific name for libssl
> (available for OS/2 as either ssl.dll or kssl.dll/kssl10.dll).

ahh... all i know is that they were referenced as being needed for accessing
https sites... without them, even with one of the specified ssl plugins, ssl
still wouldn't work...

> - OpenSSL is available for OS/2 in at least two flavours / ports. One
> of them uses the original libc port created with EMX (emxlibc.dll).
> This port for OpenSSL 0.9.7a is available on Hobbes
> (http://hobbes.nmsu.edu); I don't know whether there is similar EMX
> port/binary available for a later OpenSSL version.

cool! that may be what i'll need to use... that plus whatever code changes to
synapse to load them... i do not recall if synapse has any OS/2 related defines
or code... i don't recall seeing any notation of such in the docs or synapse
code that i've looked at... everything seems to only state windows and linux...

maybe one of the first things to do is for me to get the files and extra init
code to someone who knows what they are doing and then let's see if one can get
all of synapse to compile on OS/2 with FPC by starting off with the blcksock unit...

> In addition, there are builds using kLibC (libc06*.dll - in particular
> libc063.dll) which is a more recent libc port included with the latest
> GCC ports for OS/2.

currently, all my FPC compiles are configured to use EMX because that's what i'm
familiar with... i do have those libc files for a couple of other tools, though...

> These ports were provided by some Japan user. An older
> version based on OpenSSL 0.9.8n is also available on Hobbes, but the
> latest builds are only available from his website
> (http://bauxite.sakura.ne.jp/software/os2/#openssl; the URL included
> with the build on Hobbes is not valid any longer). Notes on his page
> indicate that it should be still possible to compile OpenSSL with the
> original EMX GCC but there is no binary provided for this on that
> page. Now - which version to use probably depends on whether you need
> to use other libraries using libc or not. If you do, you should
> probably use the same libc version also for openssl. If you don't,
> you can probably choose either of them (although I assume that the
> later version might be better protected from attacks).

i think i understand... i'll sleep on it and see if a fully grok it on the
morrow after i get up...

> Hope this helps

it beats sloughing thru it all getting it to work with the barest of examples
like i've been having to do... the docs are ok telling what something does but
there are no example in the docs on how to do or use the routines... one such
example is a note about having to prepare the POST vars and contents the same
way one would prepare them for a GET but no where was anything offered that
actually showed such... i took a wild guess and came up with a routine that
works... it is based on storing the var names and their values in two arrays and
then counting thru them but if i had no clue how they were supposed to be formed
in the first place... well...

)\/(ark