[fpc-pascal] Best way to transfer data between applications?

Jorge Aldo G. de F. Junior jagfj80 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 01:48:41 CET 2012

I've added a source zip to the downloads section of the
pascal-actor-model google code page.

while it cannot do "runinbackground(procedure)" as you want, i believe
it can be mimmicked using the TCreateInstanceAndConfigActorMessage
message and a functor actor (functor is a kind of object that holds
"functions/methods", its a way to mimmick first class functions in a
non-functional language like pascal because it allows to pass function
references/contexts around as classes).

This message can create an actor and pass config info to it in one go,
with guaranteed message delivery and correct sequence. (This avoids
the unbounded non-determinism problem).

Actors usually sit in background doing work or idling. Theres an idle
procedure that can be overridden and you can write message receiving
methods that are triggered upon specific messages.

Actors wont stop until told to stop.

There are a lot of shortcut procedures in the actors.pas unit that
avoids too much verbosity in the code.

If an actor should stop by his own volition, you simply have to set
Running to false after all needed work is done :

Running = False;

There is a request/reply model of message passing, but it should be
avoided at all costs, because it basically stops the thread until the
receiving thread replies (or the timeout expires), the end result is
an almost sequential execution (Makes no sense usually).

The main thread can wait for messages comming from the actors (with
timeout). Its not an active wait (in the sense of a loop) but a
passive wait done using TEventObject.

Usually the correct point to wait for messages comming from the
background actors is inside the application idle loop, via the idle
timer.

Example :

lMessage := ReceiveMessage(500); // waits 500ms for a message to arrive

To send message to actors :

SendMessage(lMessage);

In your example about saving files in background, you can write a file
writer actor and send the content to him as a message. It will happly
save the data to the file while the main thread is free to do whatever
it should do, in parallel.

I believe i should write documentation but i dont know how to use pasdoc yet :P