[fpc-pascal] Why opening a file for write fails in fpc 2.6?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 13:33:12 CET 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2012-11-01 10:56, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> You would probably be happier with something
>> like MSEGUI or fpGUI (well, apart from the fact that neither is
>> VCL-compatible in any way).
>
> Which might not be a bad thing - depending on your project needs. VCL
> (and LCL) is too Windows centric, and has no place in Linux or Mac OS X
> platforms.

That is a matter of opinion, and other developers would argue the point.
Over the years, Windows has gained a lot of things that were originally
implemented by other OSes, as such it could be considered to be the
"standard bearer" for workstation OSes. If that means that workstation
UIs and widget sets are heavily influenced by Windows, that might be
something best lived with.

However I (for one) am strongly in favour of having at least one widget
set that will run on top of X or even a frame buffer, discarding
questionable cruft that has been pulled in by recent implementations of
GTK etc.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk