[fpc-pascal] Why opening a file for write fails in fpc 2.6?

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 13:09:46 CET 2012

On 2012-11-01 11:49, Giuliano Colla wrote:
> Being stuck with a lot of Kylix code, I found it quite heavy a
> migration toward fpGUI (or MSEGUI).

Our company has invested lots of time and money in developing CLX
(Kylix) applications. We have ported quite a few of them to fpGUI, and
it was not that hard at all.

- The UI is easy to recreate
- The Kylix application code must be adapted no matter which GUI
  toolkit you use. Even so, most of the code can be reused as-is.

fpGUI is different to VCL or LCL by design - but the general UI concepts
are very similar. Everybody I have spoken to have said that picking up
fpGUI is rather easy because of a very clear design and API.

> Kylix development is not possible on modern platform, it's still
> possible with a few kludges to run Kylix applications. One only needs
> to keep alive legacy platforms for development.

Correct. We simply run Kylix IDE in a Red Hat 9 VM for continued
development and application maintenance, but the applications themselves
run just fine even on the latest Linux distros like OpenSUSE 12.2 or
Ubuntu 12.10 - simply ship your app with the required *.so files and set
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH before launching your app.

We have Kylix apps that haven't been touched since 2003, and they still
run on today's distros.

> Now I'm looking forward with interest to CustomDrawn, which should

I've recently (about 3 weeks ago) looked at LCL-CustomDrawn. It is still
years away form being usable in production code. Simple things like the
default Cut/Copy/Paste popup menu in text widgets don't exist. Tabbing
in reverse order between widgets don't work etc. The more you look the
more issues you will find in LCL-CustomDrawn.  This doesn't mean
LCL-CustomDrawn in bad, it just means it is not near being ready to be
used in real world applications.

Regards,
  - Graeme -