[fpc-pascal] Cross compiling x86_64 on i386 Linux.

Tony Whyman tony.whyman at mccallumwhyman.com
Tue May 29 10:40:04 CEST 2012

Bruce,

If you are using a Debian derived distribution such as Ubuntu, you might
find it easier to use debootstrap to create a 64 bit environment on your
system and compile the program in that environment (see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebootstrapChroot for a guide). Then
you can be sure that you have all the correct libraries in their
standard paths, etc.

In my set up, I compile for both 64 bit and 32 bit targets on a 64 bit
machine and have separate debootstrap (chroots) for each target
environment rather than compile in the development environment. This
ensures that the final compilation takes place in a known clean
environment. I also have a chroot for a win32 cross compiler.

Once you have created the chroot for each target, all you need to do is
to install the fpc debs in the appropriate environment (64 bit fpc for
the 64 bit environment, 32 bit for the 32 bit environment), install any
other libraries you need for the distribution repository and then
compile the software in each chroot separately. The result will be
executables built for each target and built in a clean environment. If
you also want to generate distribution packages (debs), this is also the
best way to go about it.

Regards

Tony Whyman
MWA Software