[fpc-pascal] Proposed FPC database example code: request for testing

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri May 25 10:36:14 CEST 2012

On Fri, 25 May 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I've created a small SQL*Plus/isql/osql/sqlcmd clone, pasql.
>
> It lets you connect to a database and run select queries as well as
> queries that don't return a dataset.
> It also shows how to use logging.
>
> Perhaps it's a nice candidate for inclusion as an FPC example, but it's
> only been tested/known to work on Firebird 2.5 server, MS SQL Server
> 2008 and Sybase ASE15.

Interesting example. You forgot the readme in the zip ?

I'm willing to include it as an example in fcl-db, but then you'd need to
make some improvements first:
- Choose a different default connection type on non-windows OSes.
   MS-SQL does not make sense. I'd go for firebird, but I suggest
   you make this selectable through a define.
- Clean up the code so it is separated out in a unit, not in the program file ?
- Why not use the TSQLConnector component ? You repeat what it does already ?

Any of the improvements you suggest are fine too, of course.

Michael.