[fpc-pascal] Re: 2.6.0 for Solaris? And other questions [one resolved]

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Mon May 21 14:59:11 CEST 2012

On Wed, 9 May 2012 17:40:40 +0200 (CEST) "Tomas Hajny" wrote:

> On Wed, May 9, 2012 16:14, microcode wrote:
>
> > Another question is on 2.6.0 on Linux. I cannot run the fp ide because
> > I ave glibc 2.9. The error message I get says
> >
> > fp: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by fp)
> >
> > That is really a recent version! Even the latest Slackware from 1 year
> > ago only has glibc 2.13. Is this really needed or can it be built
> > against my version of glibc?
> >
> It should be possible to build against your version of glibc, but you'll
> probably have to do it yourself (or use FPC binaries provided by your
> distribution). Search for 'buildfaq.pdf' in order to learn more on how to
> build FPC yourself.

Hooray! See attached. Thanks Tomas!

Interestingly enough, the build process I stumbled through created
statically linked executables. In 2.6.0 fp was dynamically linked and
pointed to a copy of glibc I didn't have. In the 2.7.1 I created today, fp
is static and has no dependency on a particular version of anything. I
wonder if it could be created that way generically in the regular build
process and then everybody on Linux could run it.

> Make sure to also have libgdb available in the right place in order to
> have debugging support available in the fp ide (e.g. by using one of
> precompiled versions available in the "contrib" section of our FTP
> server).

Oops, I knew I forgot something! :-( Got the messages and didn't take the
time to figure out where to get the library and forget about your email
until I read it again now.

> > I have various other stuff going wrong when trying to build some of the
> > samples like the fpc compiler not being able to find certain libraries.
> > Should I post the error messages here or should I look for a bug
> > tracker?
> >
> This depends on what the 'certain libraries' are. If you try to compile
> samples linking to external (3rd party) libraries, this is no fpc bug -
> you need to make sure to have development packages of the respective 3rd
> party libraries installed using tools appropriate for your distribution
> first.

Paying a little more attention now after the build, the problem I am having
is not finding many of the units required to build the examples. I see I do
have quite a few libraries in the units directory but obviously I am
missing others. I'll look at this more later on.

Thanks to everyone who's helped, I seem to be getting a lot further and fp
is now working (without the debugger anyway, my fault) and looks great!