[fpc-pascal] Re: 2.6.0 for Solaris? And other questions

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Thu May 10 09:32:47 CEST 2012

microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> I screwed up the quoting here, sorry. Jeff didn't write all below, I think
> some of it was Mark.
>
> On Wed, 09 May 2012 18:01:43 -0400 Jeff Wormsley wrote:
>
>> And what, pray, is wrong with Slackware? :-)
>
> Nothing :-) Once you Slack you never go back!
>
>> Most of the SPARC systems around here are Debian (plus one each of
>> Solaris 8 and 10), but I've got Slackware 12 IIRC on an E4500 since
>> the Debian installer wouldn't work. Good machine for testing
>> multithreaded stuff on account of the number of CPUs.
>
> Hah! I didn't even think of that. I've been thinking it would be nice to
> have a SPARC port of Slackware but it hasn't been maintained.
>
> How many sockets do you have on your E4500?

12, i.e. space for an I/O card and internal discs for booting. I prefer
the SS1000 architecture, where each of the eight cards is identical so
you can have 16x CPUs plus full I/O... in addition being a Xerox PARC
design it has a certain pedigree ;-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk