[fpc-pascal] Re: 2.6.0 for Solaris? And other questions

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Wed May 9 20:28:10 CEST 2012

On Wed, 9 May 2012 19:02:16 +0200 (CEST) "Tomas Hajny" wrote:

> My point was that there has been no official / dedicated maintainer for
> that platform within the core team recently which is the reason why there
> are no official builds for Solaris for version 2.6.0. Mark Morgan Lloyd
> who already responded to your e-mail probably has the most experience
> with these targets at the moment.

Yeah I checked and other platforms had people listed as maintainers. Uh oh!

> > There are no binaries provided by my distribution. It's Slackware! But
> > the question was, was it really necessary to use such a recent glibc?

> I'm not sure what's the supposed meaning of "It's Slackware!" in your
> e-mail. We do not actively track which Linux distributions support FPC
> directly.

Oh sorry, I thought everybody knew about Slackware since it is the oldest
Linux distro still being maintained. It is mostly about building everything
you want yourself but has no package management and no repo. It comes with
a ton of development tools but most apps are not there. They *should* put
Free Pascal on there though!

> Anyway, the particular glibc version was probably selected by the ld
> linker when compiling the binaries on the builder's machine. We cannot
> guarantee compatibility of the provided binaries with specific Linux
> distributions.

Understood but it seems like it would be good to intentionally not use
bleeding-edge setups to build in prereqs that people might not have, unless
you actually need them. So my question was really about whether FPC could
run with my older glibc or whether you really needed the latest.

> Our _compiler_ does not use glibc at all on Linux - the main reason being
> exactly the fact that it's very difficult to ensure compatibility with
> different versions used by different distributions.

Yeah I noticed that, the compiler works great. Well done.

> The good point for you out of that is that you should be able to use the
> distributed compiler for rebuilding the IDE on your own machine and
> linking to the glibc version available there.

Yes, I'll try it. I got the buildfaq and will go over it next week.

> (which may or may not be due to some bug in our installer, but that is
> hard to assess without more specific information). Please check what's
> going on there and possibly see our FAQ for common issues.

I realize that. That's why I asked whether I should post here. I just
didn't want to start blasting the list with a bunch of error messages for
stuff you already know doesn't work or nobody cares about. I will go over
the FAQ and get more info obviously. Thanks for the help guys.