[fpc-pascal] 2.6.0 for Solaris? And other questions

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed May 9 17:40:40 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 16:14, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> Sorry if this is a duplicate. I sent it from my phone yesterday but it has
> not shown up yet, possibly due to the html issue.
>
> I was looking to try FPC and I downloaded the Linux version. I saw the
> latest release isn't available for Solaris.
>
> Do you guys plan on releasing the 2.6.0 version on Solaris and is there a
> timeframe? Do you plan on continuing to support Solaris? I would be
> interested in running both the Intel and SPARC versions if they come
> available.

I'm not the right one to answer this question but I believe that this
depends mainly on availability of a maintainer for this operating system.
You may try building the compiler (and RTL) for that platform and it may
work well for you, but you may encounter some issues.

> Another question is on 2.6.0 on Linux. I cannot run the fp ide because I
> have glibc 2.9. The error message I get says
>
> fp: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by fp)
>
> That is really a recent version! Even the latest Slackware from 1 year ago
> only has glibc 2.13. Is this really needed or can it be built against my
> version of glibc?

It should be possible to build against your version of glibc, but you'll
probably have to do it yourself (or use FPC binaries provided by your
distribution). Search for 'buildfaq.pdf' in order to learn more on how to
build FPC yourself. Make sure to also have libgdb available in the right
place in order to have debugging support available in the fp ide (e.g. by
using one of precompiled versions available in the "contrib" section of
our FTP server).

> I have various other stuff going wrong when trying to build some of the
> samples like the fpc compiler not being able to find certain libraries.
> Should I post the error messages here or should I look for a bug tracker?

This depends on what the 'certain libraries' are. If you try to compile
samples linking to external (3rd party) libraries, this is no fpc bug -
you need to make sure to have development packages of the respective 3rd
party libraries installed using tools appropriate for your distribution
first.

Tomas