[fpc-pascal] Problems with broken (or unclear) download urls for fpc-solaris

Adrian Maier syraxes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:45:35 CEST 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:45, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> Adrian Maier wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wanted to download the latest freepascal for Sparc Solaris .
>>
>> Issue 1:
>> Opened the http://www.freepascal.org/download.var    ,   clicked on
>> the "SPARC Solaris"  link.
>> It opened the page for selecting the mirror.
>> Clicked on Sourceforge  , which lead to  :
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/
>>
>> The problem here is that this page doesn't seem to contain any Solaris
>> stuff   .
>>
>> Issue 2:
>> I went back to the mirror selection,  and clicked on ftp.freepascal.org  .
>> This link is ok ,   but it contains  the 2.4.2 sparc solaris FPC  .
>>
>> This is not consistent with the main download page
>> (http://www.freepascal.org/download.var)   , which implies that  2.6.0
>>  is available for the entire list of platforms and operating systems
>> (which includes the SPARC solaris ... ).
>>
>> Perhaps it's worth taking a look at the download page ,  so that it
>> presents in a clearer way which FPC version is available for each
>> platform ?   For example create a separate section for the
>> less-supported platforms.    The way it is now,  it implies that 2.6
>> is available for all the platforms  - which is unfortunately false.
>>

>> I currently have ssh access to some Sparc Solaris servers.   Does it
>> involve a lot of work to create the solaris builds ?
>

> I don't know to what extent anybody is routinely producing Solaris/SPARC
> releases. I try to test the compiler on v10 (and to a limited extent on v8)
> on a fairly regular basis, but I started off with [checks] 2.4.2, had to do
> a bit of hacking to get it installed (see
> http://mantis.freepascal.org/view.php?id=18271) and then compiled newer
> versions from there.

The server is a SunOS 5.10  .   Uname   -a   :
     SunOS  bebrxsu005   5.10 Generic_147440-07 sun4u sparc
SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise Solaris

I'll  try to find some time for installing the 2.4.2  and building the
2.6.   Thanks for the link  :  the comments will be useful in case i
encounter problems .

> In practical terms, you might need to be on 2.7 since there are a couple of
> code generation bugs that weren't backported to 2.6- this affects both
> Solaris and Linux. Lazarus 0.9.30-fixed should compile and run on v10 now
> that some alignment patches have been incorporated.

I am hoping that 2.6 would be enough  (not targetting lazarus) .
Compiling a development version would be painful because there is no
way to directly access the svn server ...

> In all cases, you need the freeware gas, gld, gmake and probably gtar etc.,
> and need to be careful with your paths.

The server has the GNU make and tar .  But the as and ld are not GNU.
 And i have no admin rights  :  so i can install software only in the
home dir.

--
Adrian M