[fpc-pascal] Problems with broken (or unclear) download urls for fpc-solaris

Adrian Maier syraxes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:59:47 CEST 2012

Hello,

I wanted to download the latest freepascal for Sparc Solaris .

Issue 1:
Opened the http://www.freepascal.org/download.var    ,   clicked on
the "SPARC Solaris"  link.
It opened the page for selecting the mirror.
Clicked on Sourceforge  , which lead to  :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/

The problem here is that this page doesn't seem to contain any Solaris stuff   .

Issue 2:
I went back to the mirror selection,  and clicked on ftp.freepascal.org  .
This link is ok ,   but it contains  the 2.4.2 sparc solaris FPC  .

This is not consistent with the main download page
(http://www.freepascal.org/download.var)   , which implies that  2.6.0
  is available for the entire list of platforms and operating systems
(which includes the SPARC solaris ... ).

Perhaps it's worth taking a look at the download page ,  so that it
presents in a clearer way which FPC version is available for each
platform ?   For example create a separate section for the
less-supported platforms.    The way it is now,  it implies that 2.6
is available for all the platforms  - which is unfortunately false.

I currently have ssh access to some Sparc Solaris servers.   Does it
involve a lot of work to create the solaris builds ?

Best regards,
Adrian M